22 September 2009

Shabby Chic

I love shabby chic, especially with regards to vintage elements. The way I like to think of shabby chic is to mix old with new so that's what I had in mind with response to this weeks daring card makers challenge....

I used a Jenni Bowlin journalling card and stitched on some vintage buttons, made the main embellishment with a piece of scrap packaging cut out with a nestabilities die and then embellished with some Sassafras Sweet Treats stickers. The bit of ribbon and string is tied around the card to hold on the button card and the embellishment glued on top to hold everything in place. The flowers I made with fabric. I also added a button to the envelope flap. It's a card and a gift in one I guess. I know if I got a card with buttons on I'd want to cut them off so why not make a card that is tailored to that anyhow and the recycling cool old stuff can continue :-D

I also made a shabby chic inspired envelope, I just thought why should a card always get the decorating, why not decorate the envelope and have a simple card inside {or do both!}. Might make a few people smile as it goes though the post too, got to be more fun than sorting all those ordinary white and brown ones?

Everything paperie is Sassafras and there's a little bit of woodgrain tape and buttons from my Quirky Kit.

xx

5 comments:

Rika said...

Great projects, love how youused the buttons.

Julia Dunnit said...

Too lovely! I couldn't possibly give away a card with nice buttons on..I NEED them myself. To look at. LOVE your cards!

Lynda said...

Fabulous card and envelope - and the buttons make a great gift too - to someone who will appreciate them of course! TFS

Lynda xxx

SueH said...

I love your card and especially the vintage buttons.
but your envelope is something else……… How special is that.
I think you could be right about the smiles at the post office!

Sue
x

Kathy said...

I knew this would be right up your street! Love the button card especially - took me right back to sorting my grandma's button box which aleways had cards of old buttons she'd picked up all over the place. Love the envelope too